Science and innovation
Our scientists, technicians and staff work to create better opportunities for farmers and all Canadians through agricultural research and innovation.
We work with industry, academia and other partners to support science that contributes to the growth and development of Canada's agricultural sector.
- Research centres and collections
Information on our research centres and collections across Canada.
- Scientific staff and expertise
Scientists by alphabetical list or by research centre.
- Living Laboratories Initiative
Learn more about this new approach to agricultural innovation.
- Agricultural practices
Best practices to help farmers manage risks, care for the environment, and keep the food supply safe.
- Results of agricultural research
Explore publications and articles that highlight the work of our agricultural research scientists.
- Technology transfer and licensing
Information on technology licensing opportunities to bring inventions to market.
- International engagement
Scientific activities and research promoted and shared by Canada, other countries and groups.
Overview of sector science strategies
We have developed nine sector science strategies to set priorities for our science activities over the next few years. These strategies provide the basis for detailed work planning. For more information consult the following documents:
- Overview of Science and Technology Branch sector science strategies
- Strategic objectives and areas of focus
- Research projects - A listing of research projects by province, project title, and date
Investing in innovation
The AgriScience Program aims to accelerate the pace of innovation by providing funding and support for pre-commercial science activities and cutting-edge research that benefits the agriculture and agri-food sector and Canadians.
There are two components:
- AgriScience Clusters (Clusters)
- Proposals are intended to mobilize industry, government and academia through partnerships, and address priority themes and horizontal issues that are national in scope.
- AgriScience Projects (Projects)
- This component aims to support specific shorter-term research activities to help industry overcome challenges and address fiscal barriers experienced by small and emerging sectors. They also seek to mitigate high risk opportunities that have the potential to yield significant returns. Applications are now being accepted for Projects.
The AgriInnovate Program aims to accelerate the commercialization, adoption and/or demonstration of innovative products, technologies, processes or services that increase sector competitiveness and sustainability.
Cost-benefit analysis of two innovation cases
This report on the cost-benefit analysis of two successful innovation cases summarizes the estimated return on investments of 2 agricultural research innovation cases. The investments include project funding from the federal and provincial governments, industry and producer organizations.
- Date modified: